Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Neal Boyd to run for Mo. House


CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KRCU) - Sikeson native Neal Boyd has sung for Presidents, governors and congresspeople. Now the opera-singing winner of the reality TV show “America’s Got Talent” wants to enter the political arena himself. 

Boyd announced his plans to run for the Missouri House of Representatives in the 160th district, which includes parts of Cape Girardeau, Scott, Mississippi and New Madrid counties.

Politics is not foreign to Boyd. He graduated with a degree in political science from Southeast Missouri State University, where he also served as student president.

"You know I had two idols in my life: Luciano Pavarotti and Ronald Reagan. And I wanted to be like both of them. And now here I am. I’ve hopefully made one proud posthumously. I want to make the other one proud posthumously. I never got to meet these men. But I studied them my whole life."

Boyd will run as a Republican to replace Ellen Brandom, who will be term-limited next year. The only other candidate in the race is Republican businesswoman Holly Rahder. No Democrat has entered the race.

Jacob McCleland, KRCU

0 comments:

Post a Comment